Business Risk Analytics for Information Security
The most potentially devastating risks to your business are lying beneath the surface. Our team of Business Risk Analytics professionals will help you find them.
While the security threat to your IT environment has increased exponentially, so has the complexity of your InfoSec environment. Today it is critical to be armed with an enterprise-wide, fact-based security policy to prioritize your spending. It simply isn’t possible to control everything equally, nor does it make sense: not all risks are equal.
Unfortunately, significant spend decisions are typically based on perceived threats and not the actual material value of these threats. Budgets are often misdirected to immaterial issues while serious issues remain unaddressed.
The Rev2 Professional Services team, using proprietary Business Risk Analytics software tools, collects and analyzes your existing data to find concentrations of risks and then ranks them according to their materiality. Because InfoSec risk data is sourced in structured, standards-based formats and repositories, the Rev2 methodology is non-disruptive to your existing systems and operations.
Materiality is a measure of the impact cost of risks to your business. The Rev2 Professional Services team provides a repeatable, scalable framework that calculates materiality by:
- Aggregating and correlating vulnerabilities generated by your existing security tools.
- “Weighting” the potential impact of each unique asset (i.e., web servers, database servers, applications servers, etc.).
- Assigning an “Impact Cost” score to each risk that has been identified in your enterprise.
The Rev2 methodology enables InfoSec teams to prioritize problem remediation against the most material risks that are potentially the most impactful to the business. In InfoSec environments, Rev2 enables you to:
- Prioritize your IT spend and problem-resolution dollars based on the relative materiality of your risks.
- Understand your risks in the context of all other risks.
- Use powerful what-if analysis to test the impact of various controls.
- Key concepts of Business Risk Analytics methodology.
The Rev2 Business Risk Analytics methodology helps you identify potentially costly problems in your infrastructure, before they snowball out of control. The team has the flexibility to work within your ecosystem while protecting the confidentiality of your data.
Our goal is to help your InfoSec team reduce the OPEX costs associated with managing your IT infrastructure. As shown in the below diagram, Rev2 Professional Services employs customizable proprietary software tools that enable our team of Business Risk Analytics professionals to determine your risks.
The team collects Security risks from various data sources across your information silos. This enables you to compare your costs according to their impact on your infrastructure assets. Then we provide a clear set of prioritized actions to mitigate the most costly issues according to their material impact on your business.
The Rev2 team classifies assets in two categories:
- Potential Effects, in which the potential impact of each asset is scored on a scale of 0 to 100 percent according to the C-I-A component of the industry-standard CVSS risk assessment model.
- Impact Cost Types, which are also scored 0 to 100, and refers to the risks associated with the business processes that are supported by the assets.
The Rev2 team calculates an Impact Cost Score by applying the Potential Effects and Impact Costs Types to all assets identified in a given IP Range. The IP range can refer to a specific asset or set of assets.
The Rev2 methodology helps InfoSec organizations reduce OPEX costs in three ways:
- First, by aggregating your risks. We prevent “death by a thousand paper cuts” by aggregating seemingly minor problems and highlighting their actual overall cost to your business.
- Next, we prioritize. We enable you to stack-rank your most costly infrastructure issues, according to their materiality, to prioritize remediation.
- And finally, we help you visualize your risks. By viewing data from multiple perspectives, we enable you to gain a deeper understanding of your existing and emerging infrastructure costs.
The manner in which we do this is by providing intelligence via customized reports. Some examples of Rev2 reports include:
- Risk Trending, which provides reports for executives that show how the company’s InfoSec risk exposure is changing over time.
- Risk Mitigation, which provides prioritized information to the IT department on which problems to fix according to their materiality.
The Rev2 Professional Services team helps ensure that you are deploying your resources to efficiently address your most impactful security issues. By focusing on the materiality of security vulnerabilities, Rev2 provides the following value to your organization:
- Presents you with actionable intelligence on enterprise-wide vulnerabilities – based on their potential financial impact.
- Correlates materiality of your various security tools, enabling you to prioritize problem remediation.
- Reduces your organization’s security risks and operational risk profile.
About Rev2 Professional Services
At Rev2 Professional Services, we are experts in Business Risk Analytics – the science of identifying, correlating and analyzing risks across your departments and information silos. Our hands-on team works closely with your executive team to help you prioritize spend for CAPEX, OPEX and mitigation of risks associated with running your enterprise. We have a specific skill set, custom tools and processes, backed by a track record of hard experience. We help you identify risks that are commonly missed, before they snowball out of control. Additionally, if your company is in the midst of a risk management crunch, we offer short-term services on demand.
For more information, contact us today at inforev2com (inforev2com)